Wednesday, February 3, 2016

The Hatchling Queen

A quick update since I haven't slept in 2 days, but...


What a welcome to Costa Rica!! First thing we saw upon arrival at the Goldring-Gund Marine Biology Station was this bucket of not-quite-day-old olive ridley hatchlings, who were kept in a shed for protection. All but one survived, and we released them just a few minutes ago!









Justine and I just got off our 7 to midnite shift guarding the Hatchery. (Yes, we did our job and fought off* a viciously attacking** raccoon/coati). And at the very last nest check, we found three new hatchlings fighting their way through the sand!

*by "fought off" I mean 'I stood up and it ran away.'
**by "viciously attacking" I mean 'curiously sniffing.'

Now exhausted - going to bed!




MORNING UPDATE: Alan, one of the other Earthwatch volunteers who is a guide from a park in southern Costa Rica, says what we saw was most likely a coati - because the tail was standing straight upright. COATI, I OWN YOU!

11 comments:

  1. You fought off a raccoon??! Do send on videos if you see more of the little ones in the wild!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't spell before 8am, so my corrected comment is below :)

      Delete
    2. I can't spell before 8am, so my corrected comment is below :)

      Delete
  3. Those are the cutest little sea turtles EVER! Nice job guarding them from the Coati - Queen of the Classroom and Queen of Costa Rica Wildlife!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you showed that coati who's boss! :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to look up what a coati is. You bullied a cute critter. But the turts are cuter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hatchlings are ridiculously cute! You should wear a superhero cape while standing guard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, those bandits with hands...! Good job scary human with hands!!!

    ReplyDelete